Promoting Our Industry
USA Origin Seals
U.S. suppliers looking to clearly identify the provenance of their USA-made dairy products bound for the export market can use USDEC’s USA Origin Seals at no cost.
The U.S. Dairy Export Council currently offers two origin seals—one to promote U.S. cheese and one to promote other U.S. dairy products. These may be used on products as well as any promotional materials aimed at highlighting such products.
Each seal comes in two versions which are all available in 3 different colors:
“Cheese from the USA”
This seal can be used to identify the U.S. origin of cheese sold as a finished product.
“Cow’s Milk from the USA”
This seal can be used to identify the U.S. origin of cow’s milk sold as a finished product (fluid milk).
“Made with Cheese
from the USA”
This seal can be used to identify the origin of manufactured foods and dishes made with U.S. Cheese.
“Made from Cow’s Milk
from the USA”
This seal can be used to identify other U.S. dairy ingredients and products made from U.S. cow’s milk.
How to Become a USA Origin Seal User
If you are interested in using any of these seals on your packaging and/or promotional materials, please follow the following steps:
1. Determine if your company and products qualify to use the seals by reviewing the Eligibility and Usage Guidelines:
2. Once qualification has been established, carefully review and fill out the Certified User Agreement as well as Appendix A, B and C:
3. Compile backup documentation for each product, food or dish for which you are requesting usage of the seal. Photos should clearly show:
- For an already finished product
- A photo of the product in its entirety as well as a copy of the front and back labels of the product, including the ingredients list. It is not necessary to provide a copy of the label for each size of the product.
- Already finished products refer to products such as a piece of cheese or a carton of milk manufactured and packaged in the United States. Cheese bought in bulk then cut and wrap by the buyer also qualifies.
- For a manufactured food
- A photo of the manufactured food in its entirety as well as a clear photo of the front and back labels of the product, including the ingredients list.
- Manufactured foods refers to a food or a beverage made in a plant in large scale and packaged for retail sales.
- For a dish
- A photo of the final dish, a copy of the recipe and any document showing proof the cheese or milk is from the United States.
- Dishes refer to food that is made in a restaurant (chained or independent) or an independent retail shop producing fresh food on-site. Some examples are, but are not limited to: pizzas, lasagna, breads, sandwiches, cakes, etc.
4. Submit via email a copy of the Signed Certified User Agreement (including Appendix A, B and C) and all relevant backup documentation to the USA Origin Seal Administrator (see contact details below).
5. To add additional products to an existing agreement, contact the USA Origin Seal Administrator (see contact details below).
Please contact the following USDEC staff with any questions about this program:
USA Origin Seal Administrator